Official opening of the selection process for
the 2020 Team Jolokia crew : December 1st, 2019
Jolokia’s research & action program
Being a member of Team Jolokia is first of all to be part of a program of research & action.
Each year, Team Jolokia is forming a crew composed of people from all different horizons, without discrimination.
The crew is followed by a research team who studies methods of recruitment and management on board.
The lessons learned can then be shared with the general public, institutions, companies and schools through conferences, workshops, and training sessions.
The Jolokia crew, a crew of diversity
Our wish is to have as much as possible a crew who is representative of our society.
Therefore, whatever your age (above 18 years old on January 1st 2020), colour of your skin, sex, religion, nationality, income, physical condition, education, knowledge (or lack of knowledge) about sailing… you are Jolokia !
The crew is partially composed of people who were already crew members in the previous year(s), and roughly 2/3 of the crew is composed of new members every year. The total crew is of 22 people : at every training/regatta a different set of 12 persons is chosen to be on board (this is the maximum that can be hosted on board Jolokia).
A selection process with several steps
- You will find at the bottom of this page a form to fill in. If you have real difficulties to fill in this form (for example due to a handicap), please send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or a message via Facebook. We will set a phone meeting with you to help you with it. You can also answer the questions in a video, and send us the video at email@example.com (for example through WeTransfer) Don’t forget to put your name, phone number and email address. The deadline is December 15th, 2020 at 23h59 (Paris time) ! We will then preselect 40- 50 people for the second step.
- Second step: meeting in Paris on January 26th-28th 2020. On Sunday 26th, we will have some physical tests for all candidates, nautical tests for people with experience in sailing, and interviews with members of Team Jolokia. Monday 27th or Tuesday 28th will be used for interviews and tests with the French Navy as well as with Team Jolokia. The result of the selection will be announced to each person in the following days.
- Training (sailing) weekend : this is mandatory and is used as last selection step. It will be either on March 6th-9th or March 13th-16th 2020, depending on your availability.
The trainings will start in March 2020, and will thereafter take place once a month. The first training (see paragraph 3 above) will last 4 days (from Thursday 8am to Sunday 4pm approx., or from Friday 8am to Monday 4pm approx.). The following trainings will be on 3 days including the weekend. Jolokia is covering the costs for breakfasts and lunches. For the evening meals, a container has been specially fitted to allow crew members to prepare and have their meals at minimum cost. The crew sleeps on board the boat.
No financial participation is asked for sailing on Jolokia. All crew members are volunteers. Only costs for travelling to the harbor, and meals on shore, are covered by the crew members.
In case of financial difficulties, travel costs can be covered, following a simple request and in all discretion. Jolokia would like to allow everybody to sail with them, whatever their income.
During March 2020, the crew will participate in (under consideration) :
- On 17th and 18th: an offshore survival training at the CESSAN (a French Navy base in Lanvéoc Poulmic, Crozon peninsula), at no additional cost. Attendance is mandatory for all the crew members selected this year.
- From 19th to 21st: the Jolokia Team Days, 3 days during which all the crew members and the office team will work on cohesion and inclusion. Attendance is mandatory for all crew members.
The program for the sailing season will depend on the participation or not to the Québec Saint-Malo Transatlantic Race. This will be decided at the end of January at the same time as the end of the selection process.
To be noted : in case of participation of Team Jolokia to Québec Saint-Malo Race, a higher availability may be required from crew members, during several consecutive weeks (approx. 20 days starting from from May 15th will be needed for sailing from France to Azores ; 25 days starting from June 6th, to cross from Azores to Quebec ; 30 days starting from July 1st for those who will sail the Quebec-Saint Malo Race). In this case, the requirements for atendancy will be reduced accordingly towards the end of the season.